Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Lettuce cups are one of my favorite go-to meals because they are extremely versatile, delicious, and they are a great way to get your greens in without having a salad all the time. These Asian Lettuce Cups are full of flavor, complete plant-based protein, healthy carbs, healthy fats, nutrients, and veggies!
For the quinoa:
- One and a half cups of quinoa
- Three cups of water (for cooking the quinoa)
- Three tbsp. of sunflower butter (can sub peanut butter)
- 1/2 of a cup of coconut aminos (can sub soy sauce if you’re not soy-free)
- 1/2 of a tsp. of five spice powder (can be found here)
- One tbsp. of maple syrup
- 1/4 of a tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/4 of a tsp. of ground ginger
- 1/8 of a tsp. of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- One head of broccoli, chopped
- 2/3 of a cup of shredded red cabbage
- Half of an orange, diced
- Two figs, diced
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Butter lettuce leaves for serving
How to make:
- In a large pot, bring the quinoa and water to a boil.
- Once the quinoa and the water are boiling, simmer them with the lid on until the quinoa has soaked up all of the water, stir often to avoid sticking. (This will take about 10-15 minutes)
- While the quinoa cooks, make the sauce by combining the sunflower butter, five spice powder, coconut aminos, maple syrup, garlic powder, ginger, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl until smooth and homogeneous, then set the sauce aside.
- Chop the broccoli into florets, and shred the cabbage until it makes 2/3 of a cup of shreds.
- Steam the broccoli and cabbage until the broccoli has cooked to your preferred state, and the cabbage has turned a blue-ish color.
- While the broccoli and cabbage cook, dice the orange and figs, then set them aside.
- Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir the sauce into the quinoa until it has fully and evenly coated the quinoa.
- Once the broccoli and cabbage have finished steaming, assemble your lettuce cups by spooning the quinoa into the lettuce leaves, then place the cabbage and broccoli on top of the quinoa, then place the diced figs and oranges on top of the broccoli and cabbage.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.