Yields: about 10-12 donuts
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Baked. Chocolate. Frosted. Donuts. With no grains, eggs, dairy, soy, oil, or refined sugar? Hello, “No dessert in the New Year,” you have just been ousted, because these healthy vegan donuts are here to stay!! If you think that you have to deprive yourself of sweets, these donuts are definitely for you!
These donuts are made with a base of sweet potato (yes, please!!), and other simple ingredients: almonds, coconut, vanilla, lemon, baking soda, and coconut sugar (which, despite its name, has 16 aminos acids, zinc, iron, calcium, potassium, a low glycemic index, and contains inulin, which is an indigestible carb that acts as a prebiotic in your gut that ferments and becomes food for beneficial bacteria!). And, let us not forget the chocolate frosting! Made from THREE HEALTHY ingredients: medjool dates, cocoa or cacao powder, and vanilla! Let’s get baking!!
For The Donuts:
- Two and 1/4 of a cup of baked then mashed sweet potato flesh
- One cup + one tbsp. of almond flour
- 3/4 of a cup + one tbsp. of coconut flour
- One tsp. of vanilla
- Three to four tbsp. of coconut sugar
- One and 1/4 of a tsp. of baking soda
- Two and a half tsp. of lemon juice
- Pinch of pink Himalayan or sea salt
For The Frosting:
- 15 medjool dates, pitted and soaked (see directions)
- 1/2 of a cup of cocoa or cacao powder (or adjust to your chocolate preference)
- One to two tbsp. of water for blending the dates
- 1/2 of a tsp. of vanilla
- Enough water for soaking the dates (see directions)
- Optional: a small pinch of salt to meld the flavors
Optional Topping, if you’re feeling fancy:
- Unsweetened coconut shreds (pictured) or vegan-friendly sprinkles
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and spray a donut pan if it is not non-stick (you can find a non-stick metal donut pan here and a non-stick silicone donut pan here).
- Pit the dates, then place them in a bowl with enough hot water to cover them until it is time to use them. Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potato, almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, salt, and vanilla until evenly combined.
- Add the lemon juice to the batter, then mix to evenly combine.
- Place the batter evenly into each donut mold in the donut pan.
- Place the donut pan into the oven, and bake the donuts for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the donuts have slightly hardened on top.
- While the donuts bake, make the frosting by draining the dates, then blending them in a food processor with one to two tbsp. of water until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cocoa/cacao powder, vanilla, and salt (if using) to the dates, then blend until evenly combined. Set the frosting aside (preferably in the refrigerator) until it’s time to frost the donuts.
- Once the donuts are done baking, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely before removing them from the pan and frosting them.
- Once the donuts have cooled, remove them from the pan (you may want to use a knife to gently assist removal), then turn them upside down and evenly frost them.
- Optional: Sprinkle coconut flakes or vegan sprinkles on top for aesthetics and fanciness. 🙂
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants!