Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Hello, friends! Today I am sharing yet another plantain recipe! I’m telling you, plantains can do just about anything, and today we are making Baked Tostones with Pomegranate guacamole– okay, I’m now drooling!
For those of you who are not familiar with tostones (don’t worry, I wasn’t either), they are Spanish smashed plantain slices, traditionally twice-fried and used for dipping. However, this recipe takes a different spin on tostones, baking them instead of frying them, and adding a touch of spices on top!
Now, let’s have a little chat about this dang-delicious guacamole that we will be dipping our tostones in to, shall we? Creamy avocados, a little garlic and shallot for some spice, lots of lime, tomatoes, and cilantro for some freshness, and finally, pomegranate seeds for a twisted POP of flavor and some added crunch-factor! To the kitchen we run!
For the Tostones:
- Two green plantains
- ¼ of a tsp. of garlic powder
- ½ of a tsp. of chili powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Two cups of water
For the Pomegranate Guacamole:
- Two avocados
- Two tbsp. of pomegranate seeds
- The juice from one lime
- One shallot, diced
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ of a cup of chopped cilantro
- One tbsp. of diced cherry tomatoes
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel* the plantains, then slice each plantain into one inch chunks and place the plantain slices onto the lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the plantains from the oven. Use the bottom of a cup with a small piece of parchment paper attached to push down on each plantain to smash them into flat circles.
- Dip each flattened plantain completely into the water, then place them back onto the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper evenly over the plantains, then bake the plantains for 20 more minutes.
- While the tostones bake, make the guacamole by mashing the avocados in a bowl, then mixing the remaining guacamole ingredients into the mashed avocados until fully combined.
- Once the tostones have finished baking, remove them from the oven and serve them with the guacamole.
*To easily peel the plantains, slice the ends off of each plantain, then thinly score the plantains four times around lengthwise. Peel away each section of the peel.
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants!