Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan (of course!)
One of my favorite recipes growing up was my mom’s Baked Mac and Cheese, and I was determined to create my own vegan spin on the delectable dish! Thus to the kitchen I went to develop this Baked Vegan Zippy Mac and “Cheese!” Not only is this Mac and Cheese vegan but it is also free from nuts (that’s right, NO cashews!), soy, and nutritional yeast (hello, my fellow gut-healing friends!), so everyone and anyone can enjoy this comforting, baked-noodle love!
- 10 oz (1¼ cups) of Gluten-Free pasta (I used fusilli, but elbows and penne will work, also)
- Two 15-oz. cans of navy beans, drained and rinsed (any type of white bean should work)
- One yellow onion, diced
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- Two tbsp. of butternut squash purée (I used canned butternut squash purée from Trader Joe’s)
- One and a half tbsp. of coconut aminos (tamari should also work, if you are not soy-free)
- Half of a tsp. of tahini
- Three tbsp. of full-fat coconut milk
- Two tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1/2 of a tsp. of brown mustard (this one is my favorite)
- One and a half tsp. of garlic powder
- One tsp. of onion powder
- 1/2 of a tsp. of ground turmeric
- 1/4 of a tsp. of black pepper
- Salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan salt)
How to make:
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic, then sautée them in a splash of water until translucent (add more water as needed).
- Drain and rinse the beans, then blend them in a food processor or a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Blend the sautéed onions and garlic, and the remaining ingredients (not including the pasta) into the beans until smooth and creamy.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then cook and drain the pasta. Pour the pasta back into the pot once drained.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pour and mix the “cheese” sauce into the pasta, then pour the Mac and “Cheese” into the lined baking dish.
- Bake the Mac and “Cheese” for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that when you make a purchase from a link, I receive a small commission and you are supporting LoveThroughPlants with no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants! For more information about my affiliate policy, please click here.