Serves: about four
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Oh my flavor! This Bang Bang Broccoli will certainly kick up your lunch hour! Spicy, creamy, delicious, and actually quite nutritious, this Bang Bang Broccoli is the perfect dish to share with anyone who loves the traditional “Bang Bang Shrimp!”
For the broccoli:
- Two 16 oz. bags of frozen broccoli florets
- 1/4 of a cup of chickpea flour*
- Chopped green onions and lettuce (I used romaine lettuce) for serving
For the Bang Bang Sauce:
- Two cups of raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 of a cup of water
- Two medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- One tsp. of red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 of a cup of hot sauce (I highly recommend using Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce for best flavor)
- Two cloves of garlic
- The juice from half of a lemon
- 1/4 of a tsp. of spicy brown mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional: dash of cayenne pepper
How to make:
- Place the cashews and pitted dates into two separate bowls, then soak them in enough hot water to cover them for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse the broccoli florets under hot water to “defrost” and to get them wet, then pour the broccoli into a large bowl.
- Pour the chickpea flour evenly over the broccoli, then mix to evenly coat each floret.
- Place the coated broccoli florets onto the baking sheet, then bake the them for 25-30 minutes, or until the broccoli has crisped.
- While the broccoli bakes, drain and rinse the cashews, then blend them in a high-speed blender with the 1/2 of a cup of water (add more if needed) until smooth, thick, and creamy.
- Drain the dates, then blend them and the other remaining sauce ingredients into the cashews until smooth and even.
- Once the broccoli florets are done baking, remove them from the oven and evenly coat them with with Bang Bang sauce.
- Serve the Bang Bang Broccoli with lettuce and chopped green onions.
*If you do not have chickpea flour, you can try subbing it for your flour of choice; however, I have not tested any other flour, so I cannot guarantee results.
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that when you make a purchase from a link, I receive a small commission and you are supporting LoveThroughPlants with no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants! For more information about my affiliate policy, please click here.