Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan (of course!)
This may be the tastiest flatbread that you will ever encounter. Featuring my new favorite: plantains! They are so versatile and delicious! With the combination of the plantain flatbread, garlicky cauliflower cream sauce, figs, blackberries, avocado, arugula, and basil, your mouth and your stomach will be some happy campers!
For the flatbread:
- One green plantain
- 1/4 of a tsp. of dried oregano
- 1/4 of a tsp. of dried basil
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1/4 of a cup of water as needed for blending
For the garlicky cauliflower cream sauce:
- One head of cauliflower
- One tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/4 of a heaping tsp. of dried oregano
- 1/4 of a heaping tsp. of dried basil
- 1/8 of a tsp. of salt (or to taste)
- Dash of pepper
- Two sliced figs
- 1/4 of a cup of blackberries
- Two tbsp. of chopped fresh basil
- Large handful of arugula (I used baby arugula, but you can certainly use regular)
- Half of a sliced avocado
- 1/8 of a sliced yellow onion
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and chop the plantain into fourths, then blend the chopped plantains, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and water in a food processor or a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour the flatbread batter onto the lined baking sheet, then spread the batter out to form a 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick flatbread.
- Bake the flatbread for 10 minutes.
- While the flatbread cooks, wash and chop the head of cauliflower into florets.
- Steam the cauliflower until it is fork-tender. (About 15-20 minutes)
- Once the flatbread is done cooking, take it out of the oven and set it aside.
- Once the cauliflower is done steaming, place it into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Blend the garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper into the cauliflower.
- Set the cream sauce aside, then slice 1/8 of the yellow onion and place it into a pan (preferably nonstick) with 1/4 of cup a cup of water and cook until the onions are brown and caramelized. (This will take about 5 minutes)
- While the onion cooks, slice the figs and dice the fresh basil. At this time, also preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slather the cream sauce on top of the flatbread, then place all of the toppings on top of the cream sauce, except for the avocado.
- Place the flatbread back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the flatbread bakes, cut an avocado in half, then cut the half into long slices.
- Once the flatbread is done cooking, top it with the avocado slices.
- Serve and enjoy!