Yields: nine large bars or 12 small bars
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free, No Sugar-Added, Fruit-Sweetened, Vegan (of course!)
Looking for a sweet, indulgent treat, but still want to be healthy? Well, look no further than these Chocolate Banana Layer Bars! Made with simple, clean ingredients, these bars are actually quite healthy for you! They have NO added sugar, not even maple syrup, and they are grain-free. These bars are sweetened with medjool dates, which are filled with vitamins and minerals, and they help nourish your brain. How great is that!? No need for any guilt with these bars!
For The Banana Layer:
- Two ripe, spotty bananas (think the ripeness for banana bread)
- 1/2 of a cup of coconut flour
- Six medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- 1/4 of a tsp. of vanilla
- Hot water for soaking the dates (see directions)
For The Chocolate Layer:
- 1/2 of a cup of cooked and mashed sweet potato
- 14 medjool dates, pitted and soaked
- 1/2 of a cup of cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 of a cup of almond flour
- 1/2 of a tsp. of vanilla
- Small dash of salt
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pit all of the dates, then soak them in enough hot water to cover them for five to ten minutes (this allows the dates to become softer and optimal for blending).
- Add six of the dates (not the water) into a food processor or a high-speed blender, then blend them until a smooth paste forms.
- Blend the bananas into the dates until smooth, and then blend the coconut flour into the banana-date mixture until fully combined.
- Pour the banana layer into the lined baking sheet, and spread it out evenly.
- Rinse out the food processor/high-speed blender, then blend the remaining 14 dates (discard the soaking water) until a smooth paste forms.
- Blend the mashed sweet potato into the dates, and then blend the cocoa/cacao powder into the sweet potato-date mixture until fully combined (the banana layer will be thicker than the chocolate layer.)
- Pour and spread the chocolate layer evenly over banana layer.
- Bake the bars for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the bars are done baking, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for about ten minutes before cutting.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that when you make a purchase from a link, I receive a small commission and you are supporting LoveThroughPlants with no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants! For more information about my affiliate policy, please click here.