Yeilds: about 10-12
Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Soy-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free, Yeast-Free, Grain-Free Option, Vegan(of course!)
‘Tis the season to eat cinnamon buns! Vegan, yeast-free, and refined-sugar-free, cinnamon buns, that is!! Full of flavor, and healthier ingredients, these cinnamon buns are the perfect vegan treat to enjoy this holiday season!!
For the dough:
- Two cups of cassava flour, OR gluten-free all-purpose flour, OR wheat flour if not gluten-free (I used cassava flour)
- One and a half tsp. of cinnamon
- One tbsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 of a tsp. of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- One tsp. of lemon juice
- Two tbsp. of maple syrup
- One tsp. of vanilla
- One tbsp. of applesauce
- One cup+1/4 of a cup of water (you may need to adjust the water according to the flour that you choose. Adding the water by 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup is optimal)
For The Filling:
- 16 medjool dates
- One tbsp. of cinnamon
- Dash of salt
For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- One cup of vegan cream cheese (I used Kite Hill Almond Milk Cream Cheese)
- The cream from one can of full-fat coconut milk that has been refrigerated at least overnight (discard the water)
- 1/2 of a cup of maple syrup (or more to taste)
- Two tsp. of vanilla
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit, line a pie pan or an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper, and place a large bowl into your freezer to chill.
- Pit the dates, then soak them in enough hot water to cover them.
- Drain the dates, then blend them in a food processor or a high-speed blender until they are smooth.
- Blend the cinnamon and the salt into the date paste, then set the filling aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, then mix the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Form the dough into a ball, then place the dough in between to large pieces of parchment paper or wax paper.
- Roll the dough out in between the paper until a large 1/8-1/4 of a an inch circle (or whatever shape you are able to make) is reached.
- Remove the top sheet of paper, then spread the filling evenly on the dough.
- Starting at one end of the dough, thinly roll up the dough until there is no filling showing.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into even, two-inch-thick rounds (My dough yielded 10 buns).
- Place the cinnamon buns into the lined pie pan or dish, then bake them for 45 minutes.
- While the cinnamon buns bake, remove the bowl from the freezer, then place the coconut cream into the chilled bowl and mix it with a hand mixer on high until a thick, frosting consistency is reached (roughly one minute.)
- Add the vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla to the coconut cream, then mix with the hand mixer on high until smooth.
- Once the cinnamon buns are done baking, remove them from the oven, allow them to cool for about five minutes, then frost them.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that when you make a purchase from a link, I receive a small commission and you are supporting LoveThroughPlants with no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants! For more information about my affiliate policy, please click here.