Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Behold, the dish you thought was long gone when you went vegan: Steak and Mashed Potatoes! Umami, marinated grilled “steak” (hello, Portobello mushroom!), luscious, creamy mashed potatoes (thanks, almond milk!), and perfectly steamed broccoli (we all need some extra veggies with our dinner!) all join forces to create one hearty, flavorful, vegan bowl! 100% vegan, 100% comfort-food, and 100% delicious!!
For the “Steak:”
- One large Portobello mushroom
- Two tbsp. of coconut aminos
- 1½ tsp. of lemon juice
- One tbsp. of vegetable broth
- Four to five cloves of garlic, minced
- One tbsp. of chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ of a tsp. of dried basil
- ¼ of a tsp. of garlic powder
- ¼ of a tsp. of onion powder
- ½-1 tsp. of black pepper (or to taste)
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- Two cups of quartered red potatoes
- ¾ of a cup of almond milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Broccoli:
- One cup of broccoli florets
How to make:
- Wash and quarter the red potatoes, then steam them until very fork-tender (about 20 minutes).
- While the potatoes steam, whisk together the coconut aminos, lemon juice, vegetable broth, garlic, parsley, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper until well-combined. Pour the mixture over the mushroom in a bowl and allow it to soak in the marinade.
- Once the potatoes are done steaming, drain the water from the pot, add the almond milk, salt, and pepper, and use a hand mixer to mash the potatoes until thick and creamy. Set the mashed potatoes aside with the lid on their pot until it’s time for serving.
- Place the marinated mushroom smooth side down onto a heated grill*, and grill the mushroom for about five to ten minutes on each side, or until the mushroom has grill-marks and has slightly shrunken down in size. Pour the excess marinade on each side of the mushroom while grilling.
- While the mushroom grills, steam the broccoli until it is cooked to your preference.
- Once the mushroom has finished grilling, remove it from the grill and serve it with the mashed potatoes and broccoli.
- *I used an indoor infrared grill (perfect for anybody who lives in an apartment or doesn’t know how to grill!), so the grilling time may vary by grill.