Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Non-Toxic, Vegan
Germs are everywhere! Grocery stores, restaurants, school, work, you name it, and there are germs waiting to get you sick! Most of the leading hand sanitizer brands contain extremely toxic ingredients that may just do more harm than good. These ingredients include:
- Triclosan: can cause birth defects, infertility, organ dysfunctions, hormone disruptions, and it is similar in nature to the pesticide Agent Orange.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS): found in the majority of cleaning products today, such as shampoos, conditioners, all-purpose spray, soap, toothpaste. SLS can cause damage to cell membranes, hair loss, organ and reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, skin and eye irritation, endocrine disruption, and cancer.
- Parabens (such as methylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben): also found in most cleansing products on the market today, parabens can cause hormone disrruption, muscle mass to diminish, and tumors (namely breast tumors).
- Ethyl Alcohol: can cause cancer, birth defects, reproductive toxicity, and organ system toxicity.
- Benzalkonium Chloride (BAC): can cause immunotoxicity, organ sysyem toxcicity, and cancer.
- Ureas: release formadahyde (which is toxic in and of itself) to then cause joint pain, a weakened immune system, contact dermatitis. and heart problems.
- Synthetic Colors: release heavy metals into the body (heavy metals can cause ADD/ADHD and autism, and they feed viruses such as EBV which causes countless diseases), and can be carcinogenic to the body.
- Diethanolamine (DEA): can cause reproductive toxicity, immunotoxicity, organ system toxicity, and cancer.
- Synthetic Fragrances: often contain phthalates, which are endocrine disrupters that mimic hormones and may alter genital development.
Next time you are on the market for hand sanitizer, you may want to think twice before you are swayed by the “Kills 99.9% of Germs” label. As you can see from the list of toxins above, hand sanitizers are here to do anything except prevent illnesses.
Luckily for us, there are many natural ingredients to fight off germs that can blend together to create the ultimate nontoxic hand sanitizer. These ingredients include:
- Aloe vera: antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, and anti-mold.
- Jojoba Oil: antibacterial and the perfect carrier oil for essential oils.
- Essential oils: offering different health-promoting qualities (such as antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties), essential oils not only smell wonderful but they are the quintessential substitutions for the toxic cleaning agents in commercial hand sanitizers.
Now that we are filled with the knowledge of the do’s and don’ts of the hand sanitization world, lets make some DIY Natural Hand Sanitizer!
What you will need:
- 2½ tbsp. of pure aloe vera juice (watch out for additives like citric acid, carrageenan, and potassium sorbate)
- ¼ of a tsp. of Jojoba oil
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil (Antibacterial/Antiviral/Antiseptic/Anti-fungal)
- 10 drops of lime essential oil (Antibacterial/ Antiviral/ Antiseptic/ Antipyretic/ Anti-carcinogenic/Antimicrobial)
- 10 drops of orange essential oil (Antiseptic)
- 8 drops of peppermint essential oil (Antibacterial/Antiviral)
- 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil (Antibacterial/Antiseptic)
- 2oz dark-glass (amber, blue, green) spray bottle (dark glass helps preserve)
How to make:
- Add the aloe juice, Jojoba oil, and essential oils into the spray bottle, then tightly close the bottle and shake it to combine the ingredients.
- Spray and rub your hands, and enjoy the cleansing properties!
- Feel free to add any other essential oils of your choosing!
- Separation will most likely occur, and that is completely normal! Simply give the bottle a good shake before each use!