Makes: about nine
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, No-Bake, Vegan (of course!)
These bars are the perfect treat for any summer day because they are refreshing, simple to make, and they require no baking! A dessert that will both cool you down during these hot summer days, and that will keep your house cool? Yes please!
For the filling:
- Two to three frozen spotty bananas (the riper the better!)
- The juice and the zest from two lemons
- A splash of coconut milk for blending (see directions)
- Optional: One tbsp. of maple syrup (or to taste)
For the crust:
- Half of a cup of coconut pulp (see directions)
- One tbsp. of nut butter (I used a mixture of cashew and pecan butter)
- Two tbsp. of coconut sugar
- One tsp. of cinnamon
How to make:
- Line an 8×10 baking sheet with parchment paper (don’t worry, you aren’t baking anything)
- In a high-speed blender, blend half of a cup of coconut flakes with one cup of water.
- Strain the coconut flakes from the liquid.
- Mix the strained coconut pulp with the other crust ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour the crust into the lined baking sheet and spread it out to form the crust.
- Freeze the crust for about 20 minutes, or until the crust has hardened.
- Once the crust has hardened, blend the bananas, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a splash of the remaining liquid from the blended coconut flakes in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the lemonade ice cream onto the crust and spread it evenly over the crust.
- Freeze the ice cream bars for about 30 minutes, or until the ice cream has hardened.
- Slice into bars.