Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Another day, another Mexican recipe. Seriously, I have a thing for Mexican food! Thus, I used my Mexican-fueled brain to create these Mexican Stuffed Onions! Not only are these Mexican Stuffed Onions delicious but they also require limited ingredients, are easy to make, and they are loaded with nutrients! Slice the onions, bake the onions, stuff the onions, bake the onions again, top the onions, eat the onions. Sounds simple enough to me!
- Two large red onions
- Three cups of cooked and mashed sweet potato
- One red bell pepper, diced
- Two large cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ of a tsp. of chili powder
- Guacamole and chopped cilantro for serving
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 350°Fahrenheit and line a pie pan or another rounded baking dish with parchment paper.
- Peel and slice the ends off of the onions, then slice a thin slit on one side of each onion, and carefully peel the onions, two layers thick at a time, to make four onion shells.
- Place the onion shells into the lined pie pan and bake them for 30 minutes.
- While the onions bake, dice the red bell pepper and mince the garlic, then mix them and the chili powder and mashed sweet potato together in a bowl to form a mixture.
- After 30 minutes of baking, remove the onions from the oven and stuff them evenly with the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake the stuffed onions for 30 more minutes.
- While the onions bake, make some guacamole.
- Once the onions are done baking, remove them from the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes, then top them with the guacamole.
- Serve with cilantro and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy: