Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Pesto-Smothered Sweet Potato Gnocchi that is gluten-free, nut-free, grain-free, and vegan? Yes, please!! Veggie-filled, nutrient-dense, and flavor-packed, your tastebuds and your body alike will be enamored with this delicious meal!
Not only will this gnocchi explode with flavor but it also boasts and oozes with nourishment! Wondering just how nourishing this dish is? Well, let’s break it down:
The gnocchi provides Vitamins A, C, B1, B2, and B6, manganese, copper, potassium, fiber, niacin, phosphorus, plant-based protein, and medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are essential protective fats with antiviral, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties.
The pesto provides niacin, zinc, plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E, B6, and K, thiamin, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, selenium, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, alkalizing properties, liver-cleansing properties, and antimicrobial, antiviral and antibiotic properties.
And the tomatoes and peppers provide vitamins A, C, K, and B6, folate, thiamin, potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, copper, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
That’s a whole lot of goodness and yumminess wrapped into one dish!
For the Gnocchi:
- Three cups of cooked then mashed sweet potato flesh
- One cup of coconut flour (I have not tested other flours)
For the Pesto:
- Two avocados
- Four cups of spinach
- Four cups of fresh basil
- The juice from two lemons
- Two cloves of garlic
- 1/2 of a tsp. of garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 of a cup of water
- 20 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- One red bell pepper, de-stemmed, de-seeded, and chopped
- Sun-dried tomatoes for topping (oil-free is reccomened)
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8×12 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Chop the tomatoes and pepper, then place them evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place the mashed sweet potato and the coconut flour into a large bowl, then mix them together until they are evenly combined.
- Roll the gnocchi batter into small (about one inch or smaller) oval-like shapes (gnocchi shapes), then lightly press a fork on the top of each gnocchi.
- Place the gnocchi on top of the tomatoes and peppers, then bake them for 45 minutes, or until the gnocchi tops have hardened.
- While the gnocchi and vegetables bake, make the pesto by placing the pesto ingredients into a food processor (a high-speed blender should also work), then blend until smooth and fully combined (it’s okay if there are small basil or spinach chunks). Set the pesto aside.
- Keeping the oven on, remove the baking dish from the oven, then evenly spread the pesto over the gnocchi.
- Place the baking dish back into the oven, then bake the dish for five more minutes.
- Remove the gnocchi from the oven, then top with sun-dried tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting LoveThroughPlants!