Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan (of course!)
For a lot of you, going vegan might mean giving up your favorite savory breakfast of scrambled eggs. Well, I’ve got you covered! This delicious, plant-based, protein-filled “egg” scramble will have your taste buds dancing with every bite! No more cruel, cholesterol-filled breakfast, thanks to the help of chickpea flour, veggies, and a delicious homemade, grain-free tortilla!
For the scrambled “eggs”:
- 1/4 of a cup of chickpea flour
- 1/3 of a cup of water
- Dash of salt, or to taste
- 1/8 of a tsp of pepper, or to taste
Add-ins to the scramble:
- Two tbsp. of diced red onion
- Two tbsp. of diced red bell pepper
- Two tbsp. of diced tomatoes
- One large handful of roughly chopped spinach
- More salt and pepper to taste
- One plantain, green or slightly yellow
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Avocado slices
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the red onion, red bell pepper, spinach, and tomato, then set them aside.
- Peel the plantain, then chop it into two-inch thick slices.
- Place the plantain slices, salt, and pepper into a food processor, then blend until smooth.
- Spoon out half of the batter onto the baking sheet, then form the batter into a thin tortilla shape.
- Then spoon out the other half of the batter and form it into another thin tortilla shape.
- Bake the tortillas for 10 minutes.
- While the tortillas cook, combine the chickpea flour, water, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until homogeneous.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick pan to form a large, very thin pancake.
- Let the batter cook for about a minute until it hardens, then break it up with a spoon until it forms a fluffy-scrambled-egg-like texture.
- Remove the “eggs” from the pan and set them aside.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven, and allow them to cool for about two minutes.
- Once they are cool, place each tortilla onto the pan and “grill” each side until golden brown and the edges are crispy.
- Remove the tortillas and set them aside.
- Place the onions, peppers, spinach, and tomatoes into the pan and sautée them with a splash of water until the spinach has wilted.
- Stir the “eggs” into the pan with the vegetables.
- Place the “egg” mixture onto one of the tortillas, then place the other tortilla on top of the “egg” mixture.
- Slice into four quesadilla-shapes.
- Serve with avocado slices on top.