Makes: one large pot
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Spaghetti and meat sauce was always a staple dinner for my family when I was younger. The sauce was my grandmother’s recipe and it was so delicious and warming. Now as a vegan, I still want to enjoy this delectable meal; however, I simply veganized the sauce and put it over gluten-free noodles.
- Two to three boxes of spaghetti (I used Ancient Harvest Super-Grain Spaghetti)
- One and a half cups of red split lentils
- Two 15 oz. cans/jars of tomato sauce
- Two cups of water
- 1/4 of a cup of vegetable broth (for sautéing)
- One yellow onion, diced
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- One tbsp. of dried basil
- One tbsp. of dried oregano
- One tsp. of garlic powder
- Four tbsp. of coconut sugar
- One tbsp. of red wine of choice
- One tsp. of pink Himalayan salt (or to taste)
- One tsp. of black pepper (or to taste)
How to Make:
- In a large pot, bring the two cups of water to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, rinse the lentils to remove the starch and to clean them.
- Dice the onion.
- Once the water is boiling, add the lentils and simmer them with the lid on over low heat for ten minutes.
- While the lentils cook, add the diced onions to a large pan (non-stick is best) with the vegetable broth and sauté them over medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add and stir the minced garlic into the onions for about 30 seconds.
- Once the lentils have cooked for ten minutes, add the cooked onions and the minced garlic to the lentils and turn the heat to up to medium.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, oregano, and garlic powder to the lentil mixture.
- Stir in the coconut sugar, salt, pepper, and red wine to the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce with the lid on over low heat for one hour, and stir frequently to avoid the sauce from burning.
- While the sauce simmers, cook your pasta according to the package’s directions.
- Serve the sauce over the noodles and enjoy!