Gluten-Free, Soy-Free Option, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Cauliflower to the rescue, again! No need to have chicken starring on your plate! This Sweet and Sour Cauliflower is the perfect substitute for chicken when you have a hankering for an Asian meal. This dish is extremely versatile: you can pair it with rice, more vegetables like broccoli, peppers, peas, you name it! I also love the delicious flavor and texture that the sesame coating brings to this dish, for it really just gives this dish some pop! So, grab some chop sticks, rice, veggies, a big ol’ bowl, because Sweet and Sour Cauliflower is on the menu today!
- Three cups of cauliflower florets
- Ten medjool dates, pitted
- Two tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- One tbsp. of tomato sauce
- Two tbsp. of coconut aminos, OR tamari, OR soy sauce
- One garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 of a tsp. of onion powder
- 1/4 of a tsp. of ground ginger
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Green onions for garnishing
- Hot water for soaking the dates (see directions)
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pit the dates, then soak them in enough hot water to cover them for five to ten minutes to further soften them for blending.
- Drain the dates, then blend them in a high-speed blender or food processor until a smooth paste forms.
- Blend the apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, coconut aminos, minced garlic, onion powder, ground ginger, salt, and pepper into the dates until fully combined.
- Place the cauliflower florets into a large bowl, then pour the sauce over the cauliflower and evenly spread the sauce to coat each floret.
- Place the coated cauliflower florets onto the lined baking sheet, then sprinkle sesame seeds evenly over each floret.
- Bake the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is cooked to your liking.
- Remove the cauliflower florets from the oven, then serve them over rice with vegetables of your choice and garnish with green onions.
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy: