Makes: about seven to eight patties
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Aren’t plant-based foods the best? While being delicious, nutritious, vibrant, and satisfying, they can also form a burger! So, ditch the meat and try this sweet potato black bean burger that is filled with flavor, protein, vitamins, minerals, and zero cholesterol!
- The flesh from one large cooked sweet potato (or two small to medium potatoes)
- Two cups of cooked black beans
- Two and a half packed cups of chopped kale
- 1/3 of a cup of diced tomatoes (any variety)
- 1/4 of a tsp.of garlic powder
- 1/8 of a tsp. of coriander
- 1/4 of a tsp. of cumin
- 1/4 of a tsp. of dried basil
- 1/4 of a tsp. of dried oregano
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Avocado Pesto
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato on the baking sheet and bake it for one hour and 15 minutes (or until the flesh is mushy).
- While the sweet potato cooks, wash and chop the kale and dice the tomatoes.
- Steam the kale and tomatoes for about 15 minutes, or until the kale has wilted down.
- Once the sweet potato is done cooking, place the flesh into a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add the black beans, kale, tomatoes, garlic powder, coriander, cumin, basil, oregano, cayenne, salt, and pepper to the sweet potato, then stir until they are evenly mixed.
- Line another baking sheet for the patties and turn your oven onto the broil setting.
- Form the batter into patties, then place them on the baking sheet.
- Broil the burgers for 20 minutes.
- Once the burgers are done cooking, allow them to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with the toppings and your choice of bun.