Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Growing up in the South, BBQ sandwiches were a staple. As I no longer feast on our dear pig friends, I still love the taste of a great BBQ sandwich. Luckily, the humble spaghetti squash is here to save the day (and the pigs!). Resembling a “pulled pork” texture, the spaghetti squash along with a fabulous sauce are the perfect healthy and compassionate way to enjoy a delectable BBQ sandwich without harming the pigs or your health!
For the “meat”:
- One medium spaghetti squash
For the sauce:
- One cup of ketchup
- Two tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- One cup of applesauce
- One garlic clove, minced
- One tsp. of black strap molasses
- 1/2 of a tsp. of coconut aminos (or soy sauce if not soy-free)
- 1/2 of a tsp. of smoked paprika
- 1/4 of a tsp. of onion powder
- 1/4 of a tsp. of coconut sugar
- 1/4 of a tsp. of dried oregano
- 1/8 of a tsp. of garlic powder
- Small dash of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/8 of a tsp. of black pepper (or to taste)
- Dash of salt (or to taste)
- Vegan hamburger buns
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Place each squash half facedown onto the baking sheet, then bake them for one hour.
- While the squash bakes, place and stir together the sauce ingredients in a medium-sized pot over medium heat until hot, then simmer the sauce with the lid on until the squash is done baking.
- Once the squash is done baking, remove it from the oven and use a fork to scrape out the “spaghetti’ strands (they should pull out of the squash skin very easily).
- Place the spahgetti squash strands into the sauce and stir to evenly coat the squash.
- Serve the BBQ in the buns.
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that when you make a purchase from a link, I receive a small commission and you are supporting LoveThroughPlants with no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants! For more information about my affiliate policy, please click here