Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Vegan (of course!)
Who’s ready for some creamy, decadent, stick-to-your-ribs clam chowder!? Of course, minus the clams — yeah, we’re going there! Who knew you could make beloved clam chowder with no dairy and no clams, and yet, the flavor is still there? I certainly didn’t, until I crafted this rich, luscious, plant-based chowder!
Mushrooms add the perfect “clam” texture in this chowder, while an almond milk-vegetable broth-cauliflower cream sauce provides the quintessential thick, creamy chowder base, and finally, dulse (a type of seaweed high in iodine and aids the removal of heavy metals in the body. Perfect for clam chowder and perfect for strengthening your health!) gives this chowder that “clamy-fishy” flavor! Ready for a big ol’ bowl, mug, or cup of clam chowder? I am, too! Let’s do this — vegan style!
- One cup of almond milk
- One cup of vegetable broth
- Two cups of finely chopped button mushrooms
- Three cups of cubed red potatoes
- Three stalks of celery, diced
- One large yellow onion
- Five cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ of a tsp. dried thyme
- Two tsp. of dulse granules
- ½ of a head of cauliflower
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
How to make:
- Steam the half-head of cauliflower until fork-tender (about ten minutes).
- Chop the onions, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, and garlic.
- Sauté the chopped onions in a large pot with a splash of water until translucent, then add the celery, mushrooms, and garlic and sauté until everything is evenly cooked through. Add more water to the pot as needed.
- While the vegetables sauté, remove the steamed cauliflower from the steamer and steam the chopped potatoes until they are fork-tender.
- Place the cauliflower, almond milk, and vegetable broth in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once the potatoes and vegetables have finished cooking, add the potatoes and the cream sauce to the vegetables and stir to evenly combine.
- Add the thyme, dulse flakes, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir the chowder until hot.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting LoveThroughPlants!