Yields: About nine rolls
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Grain-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free, Vegan (of course!)
When cinnamon rolls and fruitiness collide, enter: Wild Blueberry Sweet Rolls! You are going to fall head over heels for these rolls of love! Made with coconut flour, wild blueberries, dates, and cashews, these sweet treats are the perfect spring and summer goodies to share!
Wild blueberries give these a deep blue/purple color, a powerful blueberry flavor, and a plethora of health benefits. I eat wild blueberries almost everyday because of how powerful they can be for our bodies. They are able to detox heavy metals from our bodies (namely our brains!), and they can be used to treat almost any condition imaginable! So, these Wild Blueberry Sweet Rolls are acceptable to enjoy at anytime of day! Let’s get baking!!
For the rolls:
- ¾ of a cup of coconut flour
- ½ of a cup + one tbsp. of applesauce
- One mashed spotty banana
- One tbsp. of baking powder
- One tsp. of baking soda
- Two tsp. of lemon juice
- ½ of a tsp. of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: one tsp. of maple syrup (for extra sweetness)
For the filling:
- Two cups of wild blueberries (I used frozen)
- One cup of medjool dates, pitted and soaked (see directions)
- ¼ of a cup of water (for blending the dates)
For the frosting:
- 1½ cups of raw cashews, soaked (see directions)
- One cup of water
- Three tbsp. lemon juice
- Two tsp. of vanilla
- Eight medjool dates, soaked (see directions)
- Pinch of salt
How to make:
- Soak the cashews and all of the pitted dates in two separate bowls with enough hot water to cover them until it is time to use them.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking dish with parchment paper (a pie pan or a medium-sized deep dish will work).
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then mix the applesauce, mashed banana, vanilla, and lemon juice in until fully combined and homogeneous.
- Form the batter into a large dough ball, then place the ball of dough in between two large pieces of parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough between the two pieces of parchment paper until the dough is about ½ of an inch thick.
- Keeping eight dates soaking (for the frosting), remove the other dates from the soaking water, then blend them in a food processor with ¼ of a cup of water until a smooth paste forms.
- Spread the blended date paste evenly onto the rolled dough, then evenly pour the wild blueberries over the date paste.
- Starting at one end of the dough, thinly roll up the dough until there is no filling showing (use the bottom parchment paper to help you roll).
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into even, two-inch-thick rounds.
- Place the rolls into the lined dish, then bake them for 40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then an additional 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (resulting in one hour bake time total).
- While the rolls bake, make the frosting by draining the cashews, then blending them with one cup of fresh water, lemon juice, and vanilla until smooth. Blend the dates and salt into the frosting until smooth.
- Remove the rolls from the oven, then let them cool completely before frosting or removing them from the dish.
- Once the rolls have cooled completely, frost them (pouring the frosting, then spreading it over them like a cake is best).
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? You may also enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that when you make a purchase from a link, I receive a small commission and you are supporting LoveThroughPlants with no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping support LoveThroughPlants! For more information about my affiliate policy, please click here.